Zoning and Land Use
Working with clients and consultants, we build a team approach to secure permits from federal, state and local authorities, including compliance with zoning and subdivision control regulation, environmental reviews before the MEPA Office, the Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program, among many others. Where necessary, we pursue or defend zoning and other land use permit appeals in hearings or state court.
- Successfully defended a casino developer in Land Court against an abutter challenge to the zoning for the project and the proposed dimensions of the Casino Overlay Zoning District.
- Obtained a Land Court judgment overturning a zoning board’s revocation of permits for 35 MW biomass power plant project.
- Defended golf course developer against abutters’ appeal in Superior Court of zoning approvals for $40M redesign of golf course and club house.
- Obtained state agency approvals for ski area operator’s reuse of historical cabin within state park property.
- Helped multiple solid waste and recycling facility owners obtain zoning permits for development or expansion of facilities.
- Advised solar and wind developers concerning zoning compliance and appeals.
- Negotiated deed and conservation restrictions to facilitate development or preserve property rights.
- Defended biomass power plant against Public Health Council attempt to require noisome trade site assignment.